The Kano government says 14 passengers involved in the boat mishap at Bagwai LGA of the state on Tuesday are yet to be found.
Muhammad Garba, Kano commissioner for information, confirmed the figure on Wednesday at a media briefing.
According to NAN, Garba said 29 deaths have been recorded, with many of them comprising women and children.
“Seven victims are responding to treatment in Bichi general hospital, while search of 14 others is still ongoing,” he said.
TheCable had earlier reported that the boat capsized as a result of overloading while carrying about 49 passengers from Badau village to Bagwai town.
The commissioner said the state government has set up a committee to investigate the incident and provide measures to prevent such accidents.
He said the committee will be chaired by Muhammad Abubakar-Alhassan, the naval base commander in the state.
The commissioner also said the government will distribute relief items to families of the victims, adding that the state will also acquire three boats to improve water transportation.
He added that the Kano line transportation company has been directed to make two vehicles available for conveying travellers from Badau to Bagwai for the next one month.
Source: Top Stories